Craig Levein

dubs

Because, and this is just my opinion, a lot of Scotland supporter's are stuck in the 80's and 90's. They remember the days when we qualified for things with "relative" ease. They remember times when Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovenia, Bosnia WERE genuinely rank rotten and should be beaten. They haven't(or can't) accept that these countries have gotten better at Football, while we've stagnated to a point.

I'd disagree with that. The vast majority of Scotland fans acknowledge that we no longer have any god given right to qualify for tournaments. However we still produce better players than the likes of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia et al. These are teams we should be beating, certainly at home. I'm also not convinced with your point about these countries getting better at football. With the exception of Slovenia who have punched well above their weight in recent campaigns.

I've tried to support Levein but it's getting increasingly difficult. Having spent the best part of £600 travelling to Prague his 4-6-0 formation and unwillingness to go out and try to win a football game was pathetic, embarrassing and frankly unforgivable. It showed a complete lack of faith in his players. They were there for the taking that night and ultimately that game lost us second spot.

The Fletcher situation is utterly pathetic, yet I place most of the blame at the players door. Sending another text to indicate your willingness to be considered to play for your country isn't difficult to do, and any proud scotsman would do it in an instant. However Levein's inability to resolve it smacks of stubborness and we can't afford that.

Generally I think it's his lack of charisma that adds fuel to the fire. He's in the Andy Murray mould of stereotypical dour scotsmen and that mkes it difficult to warm to him.

Al that said, i'll be fully behind him and the players come 3pm on Saturday.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to like him.

However he doesn't help himself sometimes.

-The whole Fletcher saga, which I agree isn't all his fault, however this could have been nipped in the bud fucking ages ago.

-6-4-0 :huh:

-Comes across as very arrogant and his squad selections are questionable for a variety of reasons.

-Calling up Ian Black and then giving him 5 minutes at the end just to prove a point to the critics.

That being said, he has my full backing for this campaign.

Hope he proves me and many others completely wrong but I fear we are in for a very uninspiring campaign which will fizzle out very quickly :(

This.

They were there for the taking that night and ultimately that game lost us second spot.

The away game doesn't even bother me that much any more, truth be told, the home game annoys me far more, when the Czechs had given us another chance to get back into the play off spot, then spent the game at Hampden giving us chances to take it. However you look at the penalty that was or wasn't, we dropped deeper and deeper throughout the game and the outcome was inevitable. We're not the defensive unit we were under Smith or McLeish, and inviting the Czechs back onto us in that game was absolutely suicidal.

We're not the defensive unit we were under Smith or McLeish, and inviting the Czechs back onto us in that game was absolutely suicidal.

We had far better defenders in those days though, Levein can't just pull players out of his arse.

I really want to like him.

However he doesn't help himself sometimes.

-The whole Fletcher saga, which I agree isn't all his fault, however this could have been nipped in the bud fucking ages ago.

-6-4-0 :huh:

-Comes across as very arrogant and his squad selections are questionable for a variety of reasons.

-Calling up Ian Black and then giving him 5 minutes at the end just to prove a point to the critics.

That being said, he has my full backing for this campaign.

Hope he proves me and many others completely wrong but I fear we are in for a very uninspiring campaign which will fizzle out very quickly :(

This Plus.

- TAlking of constantly improving when we're not going anywhere.

- Banning members of the press at press conferences

- Walking out of interview after being asked perfectly reasonable questions after Spain game.

- Lack of Fullback on the bench against Czechs that cost us 2 points.

- Not trying to beat a horrendous Lithuanian team.

- Claiming James Morrison is better than Landon Donovan

- Danny Swanson is the most Talanted player he's ever seen.

- Ian Black contridiction.

- Playing Lee McCulloch over Charlie Adam.

- Not selecting Steven Fletcher.

- Pulling in random's and then chucking them straight in the team.

- Calling up players from Burton Albion and MK dons.

- Not calling up Bannan and McCarthur or even Ian Black when it's so clearly obvious the squad is top heavy on attacking midfielders, we're fucked if Caldwell gets injured.

- Falling out with James McFadden

We had far better defenders in those days though, Levein can't just pull players out of his arse.

We've always carried average players in squads. Levein, Christian Dailly and Dave McPherson all played at a World Cup for Scotland - little more than average league players. It's about getting players to work well as a team and organisation.

He can't, but if he's aware of it as the rest of us are, why resort to a plan in the game that highlights our greatest deficiency in the team. We had them on the back foot, then decided to get into the bunker and hope for the best.

We've always carried average players in squads. Levein, Christian Dailly and Dave McPherson all played at a World Cup for Scotland - little more than average league players. It's about getting players to work well as a team and organisation.

I totally agree. Look at Ireland. My point was the reason we were a better unit defensively was because we had better defenders. It's not the be all and end all but it certainly helps.

He can't, but if he's aware of it as the rest of us are, why resort to a plan in the game that highlights our greatest deficiency in the team. We had them on the back foot, then decided to get into the bunker and hope for the best.

No we didnt. We were comprehensively outplayed by the Czechs all game.

I totally agree. Look at Ireland. My point was the reason we were a better unit defensively was because we had better defenders. It's not the be all and end all but it certainly helps.

We've not really had a great central defender since Colin Hendry. The teams that beat France had Steven Pressley and McManus in defence. I don't think any more needs to be said unless anyone regards them as significantly better than anything that's out there now. We can do so much better if we have a manager who can coach a defence into keeping it simple and basically shit-festing against superior opponents. The next two games don't require that though.

I have numerous reasons for my opposition to Levein, most of them regarding his general management ability. I'm convinced we're going nowhere under him.

1) The 4-6-0 formation in Prague was disgraceful and everyone could see that it was going to end in disaster - he conceded that the Czechs were going to have all the ball, decided just to let them have it and hope we could cope with 90mins of pressure. He went there praying for a 0-0 and it failed.

2) Steven Fletcher. Both Levein and Fletcher have came across as petulant, arrogant men. The situation has been a complete farce from start to finish and neither is big enough to swallow their pride. Both men are at fault here, and neither want to back down.

3) His squad selections. How often have players who have been in form (something Levein made a song and dance about) been ignored in favour of players who weren't even playing for their clubs? Ross McCormack is a prime example here - comprehensively outscored CMS and Miller, yet was left out the squad. Also worth noting that Goodwillie was called up despite hardly featuring for Blackburn last year.

4) Friendly selections. Why did we continue to stick with Kenny Miller in these matches? We aren't going to go anywhere if we continue to pick the same striker despite him being ready for the knackers yard.

5) His competitive record is poor, with the only victories Lichtenstein (twice) and Lithuania. Hardly worth shouting about.

There's also numerous PR disasters...

Publicly shaming McFadden after the Lichtenstein game. I was there and McFadden was indeed shite, but to single out an individual was poor on Levein's part.

Storming off in a huff after the Spain game when asked about the 4-6-0.

Ian Black. This was Levein trying to send out a message and instead of talking about a decent win for us, we end up arguing because a player who shouldn't have been near the squad was booed. Levein's talk of not calling up Lee Wallace because he was playing in Division 3 made this call up even more baffling.

He is also a scruffy, arrogant, highly unlikable individual who is only bothered about being right and proving his doubters wrong.

I have numerous reasons for my opposition to Levein, most of them regarding his general management ability. I'm convinced we're going nowhere under him.

1) The 4-6-0 formation in Prague was disgraceful and everyone could see that it was going to end in disaster - he conceded that the Czechs were going to have all the ball, decided just to let them have it and hope we could cope with 90mins of pressure. He went there praying for a 0-0 and it failed.

2) Steven Fletcher. Both Levein and Fletcher have came across as petulant, arrogant men. The situation has been a complete farce from start to finish and neither is big enough to swallow their pride. Both men are at fault here, and neither want to back down.

3) His squad selections. How often have players who have been in form (something Levein made a song and dance about) been ignored in favour of players who weren't even playing for their clubs? Ross McCormack is a prime example here - comprehensively outscored CMS and Miller, yet was left out the squad. Also worth noting that Goodwillie was called up despite hardly featuring for Blackburn last year.

4) Friendly selections. Why did we continue to stick with Kenny Miller in these matches? We aren't going to go anywhere if we continue to pick the same striker despite him being ready for the knackers yard.

5) His competitive record is poor, with the only victories Lichtenstein (twice) and Lithuania. Hardly worth shouting about.

There's also numerous PR disasters...

Publicly shaming McFadden after the Lichtenstein game. I was there and McFadden was indeed shite, but to single out an individual was poor on Levein's part.

Storming off in a huff after the Spain game when asked about the 4-6-0.

Ian Black. This was Levein trying to send out a message and instead of talking about a decent win for us, we end up arguing because a player who shouldn't have been near the squad was booed. Levein's talk of not calling up Lee Wallace because he was playing in Division 3 made this call up even more baffling.

He is also a scruffy, arrogant, highly unlikable individual who is only bothered about being right and proving his doubters wrong.

Excellent post.

i will support the team no matter who is the manager, Craig has been average at best and made a few bad choices,

the best way to clear the whole Fletcher situation up is to just name him in a squad and see the reaction of the player, if he says yeah then great, if he says no as expected he would, then Craig can't do anymore, no player should need to be begged to play for Scotland

My main concern with Craig is his ability to inspire the players and get them lifted when they need it,

the negativity though towards the national team is very high just now considering we are entering a big campaign, we should be behind the team and management just now, the group is no harder than the France, Italy and Ukraine group of a few years back and we ran them close, the jury is out on Craig but while it's out we should get right behind him and the team

the best way to clear the whole Fletcher situation up is to just name him in a squad and see the reaction of the player, if he says yeah then great, if he says no as expected he would, then Craig can't do anymore, no player should need to be begged to play for Scotland

:blink:

Fletcher keeps on saying that he want to play, there is only 1 man who's not picking him.

But you are right, If Fletcher is lying and actually doesn't want to play, Levein would have the backing of everyone. But Leveins pride is more important than anything. So this will never happen.

Fletcher will more than likely be back in the team before the season is out anyways.

Archived