Fife Cup 2012-13

HibeeJibee

Maybe just because of our problems, but it looks like the cup is dead, only thing worth while maybe would be worth asking the juniors if the teams that want to continue(doesn't look like ourselves) playing it can join in with their fife cup. Though it's possible we may no longer partisipate in the u20 league which would free up dates to play ties.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's strange in a way since last season it ran very succesfully: all ties played August-October, crowd of 500-odd at the derby SF and 300-odd at the Final.

It appears last year was a blip, the couple of years before that we're unfinished. There I potential in it, but it's never going to be a priority even compared to youth/reserve leagues.

It probably just requires a person or club to take the organisation by the scruff of the neck, too.... I think they had the right idea last season, in that all ties were played on international midweeks. Clubs eliminated from the Ramsdens Cup didn't have a game for a fortnight so were prepared to field some more first-teamers than they otherwise would (a couple of clubs actually fielded something approaching their first XI), and the lack of competition on TV created enough of a crowd that I'd imagine they didn't lose money on stadium costs.

Other option would be to exclude Burntisland/play their Preliminary in May, then have it as a 'mini-tournament' over 1 weekend in July.

I think it'd be a crying shame for such historical tournaments to die-off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wouldn't give a flying f**k if there was never another Fife Cup. I don't even dislike it but I literally could not care less about it.

Sadly I feel the same way. The only time it ever worked for me was when it was double header games played over one weekend.

I always thought they should play it as a six a side tournament in one day.

Our trip to Morecambe on Saturday 20 July isn't going ahead, wonder if there is any chance of putting the Fife Cup tie against the Pars on that day if the Pars don't have a fixture, would probably attract a good crowd if it was a Saturday afternoon kick-off in pre-season.

It probably just requires a person or club to take the organisation by the scruff of the neck, too.... I think they had the right idea last season, in that all ties were played on international midweeks. Clubs eliminated from the Ramsdens Cup didn't have a game for a fortnight so were prepared to field some more first-teamers than they otherwise would (a couple of clubs actually fielded something approaching their first XI), and the lack of competition on TV created enough of a crowd that I'd imagine they didn't lose money on stadium costs.

Other option would be to exclude Burntisland/play their Preliminary in May, then have it as a 'mini-tournament' over 1 weekend in July.

I think it'd be a crying shame for such historical tournaments to die-off.

I used to like the Fife Cup when they played it over a weekend during the pre-season at one ground. That's the only way I can ever see it being a success again. It might mean they'd actually complete the ties and give the cup to someone.

Our trip to Morecambe on Saturday 20 July isn't going ahead, wonder if there is any chance of putting the Fife Cup tie against the Pars on that day if the Pars don't have a fixture, would probably attract a good crowd if it was a Saturday afternoon kick-off in pre-season.

Sounds a good idea that what with Dunfermline having gone down.

• 5 months later...

So what's that 1 completed comp in 5 years? Time it was given up on.

That or expel a certain Dunfermline Athletic FC, who seem to be the problem's common denominator :rolleyes:;):P...

2008-09... unplayed - (SF) Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline, (Final) East Fife v Cowdenbeath/Dunfermline

2009-10... unplayed - (SF) Dunfermline v East Fife, (Final) Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline/East Fife

2010-11... not begun

2011-12... Raith Rovers

2012-13... unplayed - (SF) Raith v Dunfermline, (Final) East Fife v Raith/Dunfermline

It's more surprising as 2011-12 was so well-run.

That or expel a certain Dunfermline Athletic FC, who seem to be the problem's common denominator :rolleyes:;):P...

2008-09... unplayed - (SF) Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline, (Final) East Fife v Cowdenbeath/Dunfermline

2009-10... unplayed - (SF) Dunfermline v East Fife, (Final) Cowdenbeath v Dunfermline/East Fife

2010-11... not begun

2011-12... Raith Rovers

2012-13... unplayed - (SF) Raith v Dunfermline, (Final) East Fife v Raith/Dunfermline

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was our fault tbh, we haven't exactly been the best at organising or affairs recently.

If that is this case it may be worth seeing how it goes over the next couple of years. But kicking us out would bother aproximity 0 pars fans.

Another possible explanation is that rovers took the comp far too seriously in 2011-12 IIRC, pretty much playing the same 11 as

league games.

2010-11... not begun

2011-12... Raith Rovers

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was our fault tbh, we haven't exactly been the best at organising or affairs recently. If that is this case it may be worth seeing how it goes over the next couple of years. But kicking us out would bother aproximity 0 pars fans. Another possible explanation is that rovers took the comp far too seriously in 2011-12 IIRC, pretty much playing the same 11 as league games.

Was the 2011-12 final the one that Dougie Hill suffered a leg break in the dying minutes that ended up Raith Rovers 3 - 5 Dunfermline?

Archived