What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just finished watching Enemy at the Gates on More4.

A very, very good movie. Saw it a few times.

About a Russian and German sniper going head to head against each other during the battle of Stalingrad.

9/10

I liked it at first. Then after watching it a few more times I think it's a film that had so much potential but just loses its way. Obviously the fact that it is based around Stalingrad may have made me like it at first but the line at the end about how Communism can't work because they can't both have the girl is just ridiculous. Good scenes when the snipers are chasing each other (in the factory, the train yard - not the bit at the end - and the building when the Luftwaffe are bombing), but the script is terrible.

In Good Company

Topher Grace portrayed the loner company hotshot fantastically well. Missed some of it but within five minuted I felt like I'd been watching the whole time. Some nice parallels nearer the end. 8/10

Eastern Promises

Viggo Mortenssen as a russian mobster in London. The mob gets caught up in a rape/murder scandal. Quite a brutal movie in parts, nice surprise ending aswell. 6/10.

I just realised today that I have a few films that I forgot I had taken down with me. I only realsied this after I bought a couple of films today from some shop called "Fopp" I believe. The films I will be working my way through are:

• In The Loop
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Donnie Darko
  • Insomnia
  • No Country For Old Men
  • The Departed
  • Reservoir Dogs

I'm a big Scorsese fan, so I was surprised to find that I hadn't actually opened "The Departed" when I found I had it.

I have never watched all of "Reservoir Dogs" nor "No Country For Old Men" but I liked what I saw of them.

First up, "In The Loop".

In The Loop

I thought this was great - really funny and quite satirical. Peter Capaldi is hilarious in it ("Climbing the mountain of conflict"? You sounded like a Nazi Julie Andrews!) and whoever plays Simon Foster plays the hopeless politician wonderfully. Also good to see the excellent James Gandolfini make an appearance in it. Not much else to say other than go and watch it. One of the funniest films I have seen in a while - there a genuine "laugh out loud" moments and I was left in stitches of laughter at some points.

Seeing as everyone seems to rate the films they have watched, I'm going to give "In The Loop" an 8/10.

Clash of the titans 48%

The Special effects was the only good thing about this attempt. I would take the original over this anyday.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 75%

Not bad at all, I have to say. Bridges and Eastwood were undoubtably a brilliant combination together. My only criticism of this was I just felt that they took long to get from agreeing to re-do the heist, to actually following through with it. They could have cut out about 15 minutes of all that quite easily.

Saw Resident Evil Afterlife last night. It was better than the review(s) on here suggested but here's my problems with it(may contain spoilers):

1. They didn't explain, properly, how the zombies became what I can only assume is meant to be Las Plagas. They have been used in the more recent Resi games, 4 and 5 I believe, It's not the T-virus anymore but more of a mutation, which is why their jaw splits open and those things come out.
  2. The slow motions scenes, far too many of them for me. Also the fight scene at the start. Alice dives in head first and ends up vertical but facing down, which looked beyond stupid.
  3. Alice, after she lost her "powers" and became human, survived a plane crash, f**k off.
  4. Although the executioner wasn't explained, in the games at least, he doesn't care about anything. He just swings the axe horizontally in a kind of arc shape, taking out zombies/las plagas aswell as trying to get the humans.
  5. Wesker's movement, looked more like he was teleporting rather than just moving really fast, he needed more of a blur between stops.
  6. No explanation as to how Chris and Claire were thorns in Wesker's side, or whatever cliché he used.
  7. Bit of a stupid ending. He survived a plane crash earlier in the film so they decide to blow up his plane? Wtf.

Things I liked:

1. Chris Redfield's introduction, knew it would be him as soon as I saw him.
  2. The executioner's introduction.
  3. The beetle/spider thing on the chests. Although little explanation for that aswell.
  4. Fight scenes were pretty good.

I'd give it a 6.5 or 7/10. Too many problems to be an 8 or 9. Maybe I am looking far too into it and maybe they are expecting people to go and see it who've already played the games, which is stupid.

Also, I hope that's the end of this series. Anderson shouldn't be given another chance to make a Resi film, it's had it's run. Leave it ten years and let someone else have a crack at it.

Edited by forehead7

Creepshow III (Video 2006)

Ever sat and watched a film and wondered why it went straight to video? Well here's your answer!

Five tales which all eventually intertwine, but really on the most tenuous possible links.

First up we have 'Alice', a family get a universal TV remote which sends their daughter to a world where she has a black family, the Hispanic, then she becomes a zombie, then becomes a rabbit... what the f**k? Then picked up by a creepy professor and taken home. 3/10

Next is 'The Radio', a security guy called Jerry's radio breaks, so he buys a new one from a homeless guy, it starts talking to him, leads him to a box of money that belongs to a pimp. He runs off with the whore who shoots him, then the pimp randomly shows up, shoots him and drives off with the money - turns out the radio was playing them all. 5/10

Then comes 'Call Girl', a prostitute (who turns out to be the "Call Girl Killer") goes to a young guys house after speaking to two young guys across the road, he gets her to tie him up and blindfold him, then she unsurprisingly stabs him... oh wait he's a shitty vampire-like thing, kills her and ties her up next to some other folk... 2/10

Now 'Prof's Wife', the crazy prof from before is getting married so invites two prize students (the young guys in the last story) over to meet his fiancée. She's about 25 and Russian, so they think she's a robot and decide to carve her open to see where the off switch is. Then realise she's human, after finding photo album showing that she's a Russian dial-a-bride... 3/10

And finally, 'Haunted Dog', where a doctor buys a hot dog, he drops it and gives it to a homeless guy who eats it and dies. After taking shitloads of prescription medication he sees a ghost zombie homeless guy, then drives off to get laid at a bordello party (the radio homeless guy from before is outside). After he goes inside the Prof from before appears and buys a chicken from the homeless guy for some reason... the doctor is in the party, sees the ghost zombie again, then sees that the freaky vampire guy is the host of the party... so he runs away and drops dead... 4/10

Then we get a conclusion with the Prof getting married to the chopped up Russian woman, and driving off with the rabbit called Alice.

What in the name of f**k is going on? Just naw! It does not surprise me that the co-directors greatest triumph was the fucking shit Day of the Dead 2: Contagium... unsurprisingly George A Romero and Stephen King have nothing to do with this horrific mess!

3/10 - just for giving me enough to have a rant about!

Race to witch mountain. Watched it with the wean after school today. Really enjoyed it.

Usual Shite acting from the Rock but the wean loved it, sat thru it engrossed and wanted to watch it again.

Overall, 7/10. Purely for the weans enjoyment