What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Tremors

Caught the screening in the early hours this morning with the guy in the corner doing the dialogue in sign language. He was on the screen, not in my house.

Intended to watch the first few minutes and watched the whole thing again. So many people try to make movies like this and can't pull it off. It's right on the money. Funny, original (kind of), good pace, good action, well acted and gets the job done. A great monster movie.

8/10

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secrets of the Unicorn

Seen this at the IMAX and it is simply stunning. Definitely the best use of motion capture animation yet.

A good cast, visually excellent and packed full of action and good humour.

8/10

Definitely the best use of motion capture animation yet.

I wonder if Andy Serkis has one of the cameras and stages in his own front room to save him leaving the house. He seems to be involved with every film using that technology! :lol:

The Human Centipede 2 - Jesus wept. Gruesome and yet hillarious. Worth a watch, if you're a sicko.

Just watched it too. As you say a real good laugh .Laurence R Harvey was just perfect in the role of the DIY man trying to outdo the mad surgeon. What a body!

Loved it and am waiting for the final film.:P

The Ape (1940)

Boris Karloff stars as a mad doctor who wants to create a serum that will help a paralysed woman to walk again, using the spinal fluid of people killed by a gorilla that is on the rampage throughout the town.

The acting is crap, the ape is faker than the shark in Jaws (in know it's 1940, but even then it's pretty lame!) and the story paper thin. It's watchable, but nothing more positive can really be said about.

3/10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I'm not a fan of romantics, by any consideration, but this was pretty good. It had that sci-fi element to it which is probably what kept me. On the whole, it was really good but the final third was largely predictable.

Her hair was blue at the start of the film which you were made to think was the start of their relationship and then in most of the memories it was orange/red so when it was blue with Elijah Wood, I knew that them meeting at the place by the beach was after their cleansing thing, also Elijah Wood randomly turning up outside his car at the start was obvious.

The stuff with Kirsten Dunst was sorta predictable as well

For those reasons it loses two marks - 8/10

Are people forgetting or deliberately omitting Oldman's performance in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula from his finest work?

I actually think he's surpassed his already astounding portfolio of great performances with his work in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Are people forgetting or deliberately omitting Oldman's performance in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula from his finest work?

Never seen it. Would you recommend it? I've also not seen State Of Grace (apparently it's brilliant), so I'm wondering if it's one to watch also? Rotten Tomatoes gives it 88% IIRC.

Watched quite a few movies recently....

4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days.

Set over the space of a day in the last few years of Ceuasescu's Romania, as a girl helps her friend to undertake an illegal abortion,

Highlights of the entertainment include the abortion itself, a raping, the post rape John McVeigh is a tit cleaning sesh and the disposal of the foetus down a refuse dumpster.

Overall, one of the worst comedies I've ever seen.

In all seriousness, it was very powerful and hard to watch. As I'm sure this is exactly what was intended, I'd give it an 8/10.

True Romance

Never seen this before. Highly enjoyable, good cast but fucking riduculous. Pretty much sums up everything Quentin Tarantino has ever been involved with.

7.5/10

Brooklyn Rules

Written by one of The Sopranos writers so gave it a shot. Without doubt, the most generic and unoriginal mob film I've ever seen.

Reminded me of when Mike Myers jokingly turns to the camera in Waynes World 2 and says he feels like he's in a "John Huges rites de passage movie." Could have started with the same line but replaced Hughes with Scorcese. Also Freddie Prince Jr accent (as well as his general shit acting) is hilariously bad. It's just a shit Bronx Tale.

Otherwise decent supporting cast brings it up to a 4/10

Tape

Really like single setting movies, or character based drama's which take a few though-provoking storylines and follows them intensely. As a result have been going through some of Richard Linklaters lower budget flicks, which tend to come in this format.

Enjoyed this a lot, only has three characters and one tiny set, the inside of a shoddy motel. Pretty much impossible to say anything about the plot without spoiling it for someone, but if you like the kind of movie described, then I'd recommend you check it out.

Came to the conclusion recently, that although he's been in some pish, Ethan Hawke is actually one of the most under-rated actors going.

Another 8/10

I've never seen Dracula, not in any great hurry to either, vampires <<< zombies.

True Romance

Never seen this before. Highly enjoyable, good cast but fucking riduculous. Pretty much sums up everything Quentin Tarantino has ever been involved with.

7.5/10

What's fucking ridiculous? It sums it up in that way because it's awesome and he's probably the best writer/director in the world at the moment.

Takers

Pretty decent line up with the actors in it, Idris Elba, Paul Walker, T.I, Chris Brown, Hayden Christensen, Michael Ealy & Matt Dillon)

Good Armoured car heist and good gun sequence but thats aboput it. Ending is a bit subdued. Watchable.

6/10

Never seen it. Would you recommend it? I've also not seen State Of Grace (apparently it's brilliant), so I'm wondering if it's one to watch also? Rotten Tomatoes gives it 88% IIRC.

It depends if you like the book, I guess. The book was basically a pretty boring parable for Bram Stoker's repressed homosexuality, and the film follows the book fairly closely. Acting wise, Oldman is brilliant in it, but you'll struggle to make the end as it's just really boring!

Unless of course you just want to laugh at Keanu Reeves attempts at playing a human. By God, he's just awful! :lol:

The Oscars tell you pretty much what you need to know...

Won (3): Best Costume Design; Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing; Best Makeup

Nominated (1): Best Art Direction-Set Decoration

It's pretty... but not very good on its entertainment aspects though!

It depends if you like the book, I guess. The book was basically a pretty boring parable for Bram Stoker's repressed homosexuality, and the film follows the book fairly closely. Acting wise, Oldman is brilliant in it, but you'll struggle to make the end as it's just really boring!

Unless of course you just want to laugh at Keanu Reeves attempts at playing a human. By God, he's just awful! :lol:

The Oscars tell you pretty much what you need to know...

Won (3): Best Costume Design; Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing; Best Makeup

Nominated (1): Best Art Direction-Set Decoration

It's pretty... but not very good on its entertainment aspects though!

Kind of agree with this. I wouldn't use the word boring but it is more about the way the story is told than the story itself. Which is my kind of thing, especially when you're in the authoritative hand of an old master like Coppola.

I'd give it a 7/10, but it really is all about Gary Oldman

...and Winona Ryder

You're all mental! Dracula is one of the funniest books I've read. Jonathan Harker is up there Raoul Duke from "Fear and Loathing". There's pages about the taste of paprika chicken FFS! and how he "must remember to get the recipe for that paprika chicken" inbetween other conversations. The man is clearly away with it! Looking out his window and seeing a man crawling down the castle walls. The film is also class. Oldman is awesome and Keanu Reeves acting suits that drugged up fool, Harker, perfectly!

What's fucking ridiculous? It sums it up in that way because it's awesome and he's probably the best writer/director in the world at the moment.

Are you 16 or are you just getting carried away with yourself?

Are you 16 or are you just getting carried away with yourself?

Tarantino's genius is undeniable. Surely you can understand the masses that consider him the leader of his generation in writing/directing.

Very hard to choose between him and the Coens for me...

Think you're misconstruing it as criticism.

Tarantino's films all tend to be stylised, hyper-violent and highly unrealistic. Absolutely nowt wrong with that and as highlighted by my score, I enjoyed TR immensely.

The fact that QT is so inflenced by Scorcese makes it difficult to label him the best around. Its a bit like saying Oasis are better than The Beatles.

As for the Coens, they're the ultimate Marmite filmmakers. Half of their work is truely genius, the other half total pish IMO.