Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotla

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Cairnsy91

Cairnsy91

Sunday League Sub

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • My Team:Rangers
I have created a short survey on Survey Monkey, which aims to find out all Scottish Football supporters' attitudes towards the issue of Sectarianism and their opinions on the Scottish Government's new Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012.

There has been attempts made by the Government and campaigns such as 'Take a Liberty' etc to influence supporters, however I am interested in finding out what the supporters actually think about the new legislation and the issue of Sectarianism.

The survey will take no more than 5mins to complete, and I would be very grateful if you could find the time to complete the survey and assist with my research.

Please follow the web-link below and fill out the questionnaire.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/ s/QQC9GFB

Thanks

Garrowhillclyde

Garrowhillclyde

International Captain

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts
  • My Team:Clyde
Is it just me or does question 9 just not make sense - or at east less sense than the survey full stop.

Must be hard typing while playing a flute.

Cairnsy91

Cairnsy91

Sunday League Sub

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Is it just me or does question 9 just not make sense - or at east less sense than the survey full stop.

Must be hard typing while playing a flute.

Well there is a perfect example of the issue of Sectarianism.... this assumption of yours.

Because I support Rangers, straight away you have assumed I am a protestant, and possibly a bigot who plays a flute in an Orange band.

Whereas in all honesty you don't really know anything about me.

TIP- don't just assume things

SFLKING

SFLKING

Third Division Apprentice

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • My Team:Queen's Park

Well there is a perfect example of the issue of Sectarianism.... this assumption of yours.

Because I support Rangers, straight away you have assumed I am a protestant, and possibly a bigot who plays a flute in an Orange band.

I think he's saying that because the questions in your " survey " seems to be saying " Is sectarianism that bad " and that the new laws are harsh.

Cairnsy91

Cairnsy91

Sunday League Sub

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I think he's saying that because the questions in your " survey " seems to be saying " Is sectarianism that bad " and that the new laws are harsh.

Well if he's making that point then that's fair enough.

The survey is just aimed at getting supporters views on sectarianism and the new legislation, its not meaning to influence or sound bias.

Personally I think the government already had adequate existing laws in place, and that the new legislation has some debatable terms.

Im just a student trying to get feedback for my dissertation, and so far yous have been really helpful in assisting my research.

Garrowhillclyde

Garrowhillclyde

International Captain

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

I had thought perhaps you were a member of an orchestra, I suppose you could have been into a percussion instrument, for example. You are the one that mentioned protestantism and bigotry.

Your survey does come across as if you are disagreeing with any clampdown on sectarian behaviour and the tools required to enforce it.

sydney

sydney

Third Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Well if he's making that point then that's fair enough.

The survey is just aimed at getting supporters views on sectarianism and the new legislation, its not meaning to influence or sound bias.

Personally I think the government already had adequate existing laws in place, and that the new legislation has some debatable terms.

Im just a student trying to get feedback for my dissertation, and so far yous have been really helpful in assisting my research.

I'm all for supporting students with their studies (I remember when I was doing mine although it was the same decade that Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup which will give you an idea of how long it was ago ! ). You've picked an interesting topic and one which is hugely controversial. I did the survey and I did understand Q9 although I did have to read it a couple of times first.
I didnt make the comment on the survey but have been thinking about it since. There is an argument that existing laws are sufficient to deal with sectarianism. However, what this does do is make things very explicit with regard to what might or might not be acceptable at football. Ok, it doesn't have a big list of what might constitute an offence such as a list of songs or comments, but it certainly makes it clear that a lot of current stuff is definitely illegal. If nothing else, it ramps up the focus on a problem that has blighted our country for too long. Case history will determine exactly what is deemed offensive and time will tell if the legislation works or not.

Good luck with your studies.

shawfield shed boy

shawfield shed boy

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
f**k off

Cairnsy91

Cairnsy91

Sunday League Sub

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I'm all for supporting students with their studies (I remember when I was doing mine although it was the same decade that Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup which will give you an idea of how long it was ago ! ). You've picked an interesting topic and one which is hugely controversial. I did the survey and I did understand Q9 although I did have to read it a couple of times first.
I didnt make the comment on the survey but have been thinking about it since. There is an argument that existing laws are sufficient to deal with sectarianism. However, what this does do is make things very explicit with regard to what might or might not be acceptable at football. Ok, it doesn't have a big list of what might constitute an offence such as a list of songs or comments, but it certainly makes it clear that a lot of current stuff is definitely illegal. If nothing else, it ramps up the focus on a problem that has blighted our country for too long. Case history will determine exactly what is deemed offensive and time will tell if the legislation works or not.

Good luck with your studies.

Thanks very much, I appreciate you giving up your time to complete the survey, and you make a very good point there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users