Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

The Well Society reaches it's first financial target

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Wellboy1978

Wellboy1978

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • My Team:Motherwell
http://www.motherwel...hes-first-goal/

First milestone reached on the road to Motherwell being the first fan owned club in Scotland.

One Steel and two Junior Steel memberships in our house.
Confucius say "Man with hole in pocket, feels cocky all day"

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

YES - 45% and rising

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,758 posts
  • My Team:Dundee Utd

First milestone reached on the road to Motherwell being the first fan owned club in Scotland.

All's Well that ends Well.

Henrik's tongue

Henrik's tongue

The rising of Grafton Street (I saw it)

• Gold Members
  • 10,883 posts
  • My Team:Celtic

Well. Well. Well.

;)

Posted Image

Jay

Jay

Third Division Apprentice

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Good news. I joined up last week and I expected the target to be reached but to exceed it by over £85,000 isn't too shabby at all.

Edited by Jay, 02 April 2012 - 12:18.

Messi. Zidane. Maradona. Pele. Roddie.

Greggy Wallace

Greggy Wallace

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • My Team:Heart of Midlothian
Pretty impressive.

"And Skacel scores again! Hibs humiliated. This is Hearts cup!"

drs

drs

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • My Team:Scotland

First milestone reached on the road to Motherwell being the SECOND fan owned club in Scotland after Stirling Albion.

Fixed that for you. <_<

P&B Dead Pool Winner 2008 2009 2011 Runner Up 2012 Third Place 2010, a "Moyes" in 2013

The curse of drs will strike back in 2014!

Wellboy1978

Wellboy1978

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Fixed that for you. Posted Image

First Professional fan owned team then?
Confucius say "Man with hole in pocket, feels cocky all day"

soulfulsaint

soulfulsaint

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • My Team:Scotland

First Professional fan owned team then?

Congratulations to Motherwell - I hope the scheme work and becomes a blue-print for others.

• Surfer
Well I never.

bennett

bennett

Them negative waves

• Gold Members
  • 17,099 posts
  • My Team:Rangers
Impressive right enough, it's something that we should be looking in to but on a slightly different scale.

Vote Yes  :)

• Surfer

Impressive right enough, it's something that we should be looking in to but on a slightly different scale.

Considering the pathetic amount the fighting fund raised I don't think there is much chance of that working. :lol:

the jambo-rocker

the jambo-rocker

staunch

• Gold Members
  • 13,092 posts
Sounds like a Steal man.

“Boy you really missed the boat. I’ll make it simple, so’s even fuckin you can understand. Papa God growed us up till we could wear long pants; then he licensed his name to dollar bills, left some car keys on the table, and got the f**k outta town”. Water rushes to his eye-holes. “Don’t be lookin up at no sky for help. Look down here, at us twisted dreamers”. He takes hold of my shoulders, spins me around, and punches me towards the mirror on the wall. “You’re the God. Take responsibility. Exercise your power”

@robbiecoull89
*Insert here* needs a strong Heart of Midlothian.

#JasonHolt90percentpasscompletion

bennett

bennett

Them negative waves

• Gold Members
  • 17,099 posts
  • My Team:Rangers

Considering the pathetic amount the fighting fund raised I don't think there is much chance of that working. :lol:

Most fans are waiting for a share issue, not everyones loaded like you are.

Vote Yes  :)

LinkinFighter

LinkinFighter

The Best

• Gold Members
  • 11,268 posts
  • Gamertag:LinkinFighter
Good times down Fir Park way, Motherwell FC leading the way as usual. Posted Image

Magee's got quite the brass neck on him slating anyone's appearance given he looks like he sexually assaults children in an abandonded mine shaft.

Swello

Swello

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts
Considering that they launched this immediately post-Xmas in the middle of a difficult economic situation, this is a really excellent first step as far as I'm concerned. I would say we've got a real hardcore of around 3-3500 supporters and to already have 900+ members (including kids) is a properly decent response and very promising for the future.

I've said before, but my main "skepticism" about the scheme is around the practicalities of the "fan elected directors" - as I see no point in having "punters" (like me for example) on the Board that don't really bring anything to the table other than being a fan. I only see the point of doing it if the elected people enhance what is there - so they need to be the right people (assuming they exist in the paid up membership)...
"How much did you spend in the Club Shop last Christmas?" - Craig Brown.

Jay

Jay

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

I've said before, but my main "skepticism" about the scheme is around the practicalities of the "fan elected directors" - as I see no point in having "punters" (like me for example) on the Board that don't really bring anything to the table other than being a fan. I only see the point of doing it if the elected people enhance what is there - so they need to be the right people (assuming they exist in the paid up membership)...

I would imagine that those elected would be bringing something to the table. I don't for a second believe that the result of the Well Society is going to be two punters on the Board with nothing to offer the actual role.

Edited by Jay, 02 April 2012 - 13:09.

Swello

Swello

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • 4,035 posts

I would imagine that those elected would be bringing something to the table. I don't for a second believe that the result of the Well Society is going to be two punters on the Board with nothing to offer the actual role.

That depends entirely on who's voted for I guess - so there is no guarantee one way or the other. As long as the person passes a fit and proper test (Craig Whyte need not apply :) ), I don't believe there are any other stipulations. Martin Rose was a "fan" director for years and from what I can see, he did the square root of f**k-all for the fans - and it is that situation that I really want to avoid this time. Ideally what we want is competent people that can also give decent representation for the members as there is going to be a lot to discuss in the near future...

deky

deky

Dependence

• Gold Members
  • 11,157 posts
  • Gamertag:@DekyGHWF
Brilliant news.

Pity about the patter on this thread though. ;)
BORN WELL, LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

Jay

Jay

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

That depends entirely on who's voted for I guess - so there is no guarantee one way or the other. As long as the person passes a fit and proper test (Craig Whyte need not apply :) ), I don't believe there are any other stipulations. Martin Rose was a "fan" director for years and from what I can see, he did the square root of f**k-all for the fans - and it is that situation that I really want to avoid this time. Ideally what we want is competent people that can also give decent representation for the members as there is going to be a lot to discuss in the near future...

I don't think the Martin Rose situation is comparable to be honest. As much as I appreciate the ongoing efforts of the Trust, it always came across a little amateurish and Martin Rose never, ever appeared to have anybody interests other than his own from the very beginning. Given the amount of money involved this time around, the fact that it's been developed by the club rather than a Supporters Trust, and the fact that we all actually have a vote this time around, I don't really foresee the same issues that occurred the last time a 'fan' director was on the Board.

That said, you are right in pointing out that the suitable people actually have to want to be involved in the first place!

Hearts Daft

Hearts Daft

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 8,311 posts

Congratulations to Motherwell - I hope the scheme work and becomes a blue-print for others.

Think we should all just wait and see what happens with Motherwells plan before diving in trying to copy it. Could end up a disaster or a masteestroke.

I know which one I'm leaning towards though.

Osman Sow & James Keatings 5-1 Kenny Miller & Kris Boyd

TheLip69

TheLip69

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Most fans are waiting for a share issue, not everyones loaded like you are.

Hold on a wee minute, there are people out there collecting cash to try and keep your club alive, and you've blanked them because you're waiting on a share issue. Nice one, I hope every Rangers fan does that.

They tell me it's a minority, but I've been there, I know better.

TheLip69

TheLip69

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Martin Rose was appointed by the board to represent the fans. So not exactly what they were looking for. To my mind, after almost 40 years in business and being in umpteen boardrooms across a broad spectrum of business, there's one thing that always rings true, you want someone to do a job for you, employ them. You want someone to do the square root of f**k all, elect them.

Swello

Swello

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • 4,035 posts

Martin Rose was appointed by the board to represent the fans. So not exactly what they were looking for. To my mind, after almost 40 years in business and being in umpteen boardrooms across a broad spectrum of business, there's one thing that always rings true, you want someone to do a job for you, employ them. You want someone to do the square root of f**k all, elect them.

I know Martin Rose was a John Boyle appointee and so things aren't comparable - but it is still an example of someone that was ostensibly a Director but added no obvious value. The key thing for Motherwell in this is to get the overdraft in place of course, but I'm nervous that the director part isn't really defined yet and it really needs to be before we are asked to vote for people. As for your last statement - I think the vast majority of our BoD are unpaid - so fan's apointees needn't be dead wood in any way.

To be clear, I'm feeling very positive about the whole thing - but there is a lot to do before it is a functional model.

EdTheDuck

EdTheDuck

SPL Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • My Team:Inverurie Locos

Considering that they launched this immediately post-Xmas in the middle of a difficult economic situation, this is a really excellent first step as far as I'm concerned. I would say we've got a real hardcore of around 3-3500 supporters and to already have 900+ members (including kids) is a properly decent response and very promising for the future.

You may not want to join the board yourself but you gots to be involved in the selection/election process because this is going to appeal to the blazered, self important blimp who is the empitome of an empty vessel making most noise and believes decisiveness is best demonstrated by sticking to his guns despite being demonstrably wrong.

T_S_A_R

T_S_A_R

Golden Shoe Winner

• Banned
  • 7,366 posts
i would the director voted onto the board by the society will focus on representing the members and keeping us all informed of what is happening within the club.

i'd quite like to see some kind of email chain or board set up for members to communicate where everyone has to use their real names to make it a bit more formal than your average message board.

TheLip69

TheLip69

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

I know Martin Rose was a John Boyle appointee and so things aren't comparable - but it is still an example of someone that was ostensibly a Director but added no obvious value. The key thing for Motherwell in this is to get the overdraft in place of course, but I'm nervous that the director part isn't really defined yet and it really needs to be before we are asked to vote for people. As for your last statement - I think the vast majority of our BoD are unpaid - so fan's apointees needn't be dead wood in any way.

To be clear, I'm feeling very positive about the whole thing - but there is a lot to do before it is a functional model.

Who mentioned money?
We brought in Derek Weir because of his past experience and we needed someone with his knowledge and expertise. It's my fear that he's going to be joined by some numpty that wants to be on the board and gets more votes than some other numpty that just wants to be on the board. We'll get people that want to be there not people that we need there.
To be clear I'm as negative as you are positive.

T_S_A_R

T_S_A_R

Golden Shoe Winner

• Banned
  • 7,366 posts

Who mentioned money?
We brought in Derek Weir because of his past experience and we needed someone with his knowledge and expertise. It's my fear that he's going to be joined by some numpty that wants to be on the board and gets more votes than some other numpty that just wants to be on the board. We'll get people that want to be there not people that we need there.

what do you think swinburne and formerly dickie have been doing for the past few years?

Al B

Al B

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Who mentioned money?

There's a shocker.

Will we just add this one to the list then, aye?
"If you look after the sport the money will follow you, if you look after the money you'll kill the sport.'' Former Scottish FA president John McBeth.

Handsome_Devil

Handsome_Devil

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
Motherwell survived and thrived (or at least performed to an average level) for a century without a multi-million pound backer with prudent local types being on the board. I don't see any reason to think this won't be the case now, as much as it might be a giggle to suggest Joe Bloggs for the board I'm sure the fans will collectively be responsible in the elections. I expect Leeann Dempster will remain in place, ditto Derek Weir and Andrew Wilson...there's more than enough people qualified to do this just lacking the personal millions to buy the club outright. We last won the cup with a local butcher as chairman, no reason we can't do so again :-).
Posted Image
Moanracorner!

TheLip69

TheLip69

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

There's a shocker.

Will we just add this one to the list then, aye?

If you're keeping a list feel free.
I have always maintained the same stance in that I am totally against fans on the board.
It was my main reason for not joining the Well Trust, their instance on seeking a seat on the board.
In my opinion it's not a progressive step for the club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users