Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

What would you 'bring back from history'?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: What things of old would you bring back?

What club tournament(s) would you reinstate?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What international tournament(s) would you reinstate?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What representative team(s) would you reinstate?

Vote Guests cannot vote

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,090 posts
  • My Team:Berwick Rangers
If you could bring back competitions and representative teams from Scottish footballing history... what would they be?

Above there are polls where I've listed some choices - and you can pick multiples if you wish - and please post others.

Would you bring back the Drybrough Cup?

Perhaps the Scottish League XI?

Maybe you'd restore the Rous Cup?

Doesn't have to be practical or logistical in terms of the modern game... just tournaments/outfits from the past that make you think "it'd be nice if that still existed".

and when told Lord Jeffrey burst into tears, and sprang to his feet, and he exclaimed in a tone of triumph

"I am proud of my country. There is no other upon earth where such a deed could have been done"

The Master

The Master

My name...is The Master

• Gold Members
  • 16,280 posts
  • My Team:Dundee
I'd bring back an 18-team top flight and sectional League Cup.

Dundee FC - 2013/14 Championship Champions

TheMaster@ThePub:~$ sudo apt-get install beer

SuperCaleyGoBallistic

SuperCaleyGoBallistic

SPL Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts
  • My Team:Inverness Caley Thistle
None. It's hard enough to get teams to take competitions like the League or ALBA Cup seriously, never mind what it would be like if we had the Dryborough Cup or whatever.

Keep on Raven

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 33,090 posts

I'd bring back an 18-team top flight and sectional League Cup.

Fair enough :). So would I, according to your avatar :D.

(Not particularly in the spirit though... neither are defunct competitions or representative teams :P).

and when told Lord Jeffrey burst into tears, and sprang to his feet, and he exclaimed in a tone of triumph

"I am proud of my country. There is no other upon earth where such a deed could have been done"

placidcasual345

placidcasual345

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,096 posts
  • My Team:Ayr United
  • Gamertag:se7enty2wo

Would you bring back the Drybrough Cup?

One of my earliest memories is of my old man frantically telling me to shut up after we scored a late winner at Parkhead. For some reason we were in amongst the locals. The tournament was hastily cancelled after one year when neither of the Old Firm made it to the final.

I don't consider myself Scottish any more.

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 33,090 posts

One of my earliest memories is of my old man frantically telling me to shut up after we scored a late winner at Parkhead. For some reason we were in amongst the locals. The tournament was hastily cancelled after one year when neither of the Old Firm made it to the final.

Aye, it was introduced in 1971 and ran until league reconstruction (when 2 more games were added to the league season and clubs began meeting 4 times). It was then restored in 1979, but ended in 1980 when Drybrough's 2-year deal finished... and Rangers had failed to quality, Ayr beating Celtic in R1.

TheLip69

TheLip69

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • My Team:Motherwell
The competition I would like to see brought back is the good old competitive Scottish League of 18 teams playing each other home and away. Instead of the farce we have now.

They tell me it's a minority, but I've been there, I know better.

bAzTNM

bAzTNM

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • My Team:Rangers
Not on the list, but I'd quite like to see the "Anglo-Italian Cup" back with teams from the Championship against Serie B. It would be interesting IMO.

NorthernLights

NorthernLights

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • My Team:Aberdeen
Tennent's Sixes. I'm too young to remember the original Tennent's Sixes but it is something I'd like to see.

ginge123

ginge123

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • My Team:Livingston
  • Gamertag:xbox360: cmccormack91
I'd bring back the Summer Cup to replace the Challenge Cup. It'd take some of the strain off clubs during the league season and it'd provide some income for clubs during the off-season.

Futures Cup, we need to give young players as much game time as possible.

"B" Team gives a chance to look at older players without taking up a space in the full international team.

prorege

prorege

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • My Team:Other
Top flight of 18

Qualifying Cup (North)

Qualifying Cup (South)

Home International CHampionship (played over a week in May)

6 Junior Regions

Regional and National Drybrough Cups for the Juniors

Chinese Whisperer

Chinese Whisperer

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • My Team:Clydebank
As mentioned on other threads discussing the current UEFA tournaments, I would also like to reinstate the traditional European Cup and UEFA cup competitions. Straight knock out, no seedings. Now, especially with the Champions League, it is just a season upon season repeat of the same matches.
In time of difficulties, we must not lose sight of our achievements
[my achievements : Winner 2011/12 SFL2 Prediction League]

Estragon

Estragon

SPL Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • 2,793 posts
  • My Team:Kilmarnock

As mentioned on other threads discussing the current UEFA tournaments, I would also like to reinstate the traditional European Cup and UEFA cup competitions. Straight knock out, no seedings. Now, especially with the Champions League, it is just a season upon season repeat of the same matches.

Agree with your point about the UEFA Cup, but I'd keep the Champions League as it is now. The second group stage was terrible, but since they changed that to a knockout round of 16 I think it's a great tournament.

In terms of the above choices, I wouldn't be in a great rush to bring any of them back. Maybe the old regional cups (Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire etc.) but I certainly wouldn't have much interest in the B internationals or a home nations tournament.

Dad had been run over by a vehicle, and been taken to the hospital. When I finally got there, the nurse told me he'd been knocked over by a golf cart while waiting in line for a breakfast burrito. He had tread marks on his back....

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 33,090 posts
Lots of votes cast, and some interesting results so far. It seems "Battles of Britain" and more variety in representative football are held most fondly... with the Anglo-Scottish Cup, the Home Nations, "B" team and the Futures Cup, and League + City internationals proving the most popular.

City internationals are probably the least-well known, but Glasgow v Sheffield lasted until 1960.

Highland Dogma

Highland Dogma

Third Division Apprentice

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • My Team:Scotland
  • Gamertag:eeh whats one of these????
can i say world cups which include scotland......i miss those days :(

vikingTON

vikingTON

Not arrogant, just better

• Gold Members
  • 52,878 posts
  • My Team:Greenock Morton

Maybe the old regional cups (Ayrshire/Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire etc.) but I certainly wouldn't have much interest in the B internationals or a home nations tournament.

The Renfrewshire Cup hasn't gone away.

The last thing we need on the calendar are more shite internationals.

The Most Influential Poster in P&B History.

Just let that sink in.

canonbie man

canonbie man

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • My Team:Scotland

The competition I would like to see brought back is the good old competitive Scottish League of 18 teams playing each other home and away. Instead of the farce we have now.

good call I agree that 18 or 16 teams would be ideal but dont stop there lets have a proper pyramid system

SampFan101

SampFan101

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • My Team:Partick Thistle

good call I agree that 18 or 16 teams would be ideal but dont stop there lets have a proper pyramid system

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter @MarcJWallace

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"

Read my blog - http://www.marcjohnw...ce.blogspot.com

nsr

nsr

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • My Team:Motherwell
Eliminate all seedings and group stages in cup competitions. Big clubs shouldn't need safety nets.
Have fun. I know I will.

King Kong Bundy

King Kong Bundy

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • My Team:Queen's Park

Tennent's Sixes. I'm too young to remember the original Tennent's Sixes but it is something I'd like to see.

Make it a charity event and insist that every team puts out real players and not just kids. You'd have teams breaking their necks to win it (I believe Celtic celebrated it as a proper trophy during their barren years :lol: ).
Mainstream anti-Rangers agenda

NotThePars

NotThePars

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,106 posts
  • My Team:Dunfermline
  • Gamertag:NotThePars
Install some sort of competition where teams in respective league positions can play European teams in a similar position (e.g. Newcastle vs Malaga, Roma & Werder Bremen) so the Misc. Fitba Thread can finally have the thread it deserves.

Mark Connolly

Mark Connolly

Golden Shoe Candidate

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts
  • My Team:Dundee Utd
I'd bring back non-OF teams winning the league.

wunfellaff

wunfellaff

Thread wrecker and all round wrong 'un.

• Banned
  • 11,441 posts
  • My Team:Celtic
  • Gamertag:set phasers to malky
Outwith comps and teams, i 'miss' bigger pitches, different goalposts (square, round, metal, wooden, whatever), different style nets (huge ones in olden days to ones that seemed a foot deep at QPR etc) ie the whole game is haemogonised like The Borg now.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Posted Image

lau03143

lau03143

First Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • My Team:Rangers
None of the above.

Mia San Mia