Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Race for the Championship

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

ShakehandsTom - DFC

ShakehandsTom - DFC

Champions!

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,632 posts
  • My Team:Dumbarton
We're certainly in there with a shout at the moment, and for people to write us off at this stage suits me just fine. We're plodding along nicely at the minute and picking up wins as we go.

As Cowdenbeath and Arbroath have been the pace-setters pretty much since August, the pressure is on them. They're both very decent sides and it's a huge ask to catch them. But we trailed Cowdenbeath by 11 points in March a few years ago, and we all know what happened there.

All we can do is keep trying to win our games and get the best results we can, but after our recent (since Christmas) excellent run of form, are Cowdenbeath and Arbroath looking over their shoulders? You bet they are!

R.I.P Gordon Lennon

1983 - 2009

NELLY

NELLY

Third Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • My Team:Cowdenbeath
100%not ruling out dumbarton they are on a great run and I was impressed with them last game at central albeit it was hurrican bawsack at the time.
I think arbroath are so strong with their first x1 they are nt gna drop many points but points will be dropped by all teams and I include cowden in that.
For me the game against dumbarton away midweek is our biggest game of season!!,

Im gonna predict arbroath to be ahead by a point or two come last 2 games of season but we nick it :D

1320Lichtie

1320Lichtie

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 6,495 posts
  • My Team:Arbroath
Next 6 Fixtures. Cowdenbeath:

Airdrie (A)
Dumbarton (A)
East Fife (A)
Stenny (H)
Dumbarton (H)
Albion (A)

I reckon they'll take 11 points from that at best. Losing away to Dumbarton, Drawing at Bayview and drawing at home to either Stenny or Dumbarton.

AFC:

Airdrie (H)
East Fife (H)
Dumbarton (H)
Stirling (A)
Airdrie (A)
Brechin (H)

Can honestly see us winning all them maybe with the excception of a point at Dumbarton. 16 points. That would leave it

1. Arbroath 66
2. Cowden 63

Going into the game at Central Park. If we were to win that it'd be 6 points ahead with 4 games left. If not we'd obviously be equal. Last 4 games for AFC:

Forfar (H)
Albion (A)
Stenny (H)
East Fife (A)

We'd get the 9 points and maybe struggle to a draw at Bayview.

Cowden:

Stirling (A)
Forfar (H)
Brechin (A)
Airdrie (H)

Again I reckon they'd take 10 points from that maybe struggling at the Glebe.

But like I said initially next 6 games are huge. Depending on how they go we could maybe win the league at Central..... ;) if only. Anyways it'll be close.

Jordo1872

Jordo1872

First Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
This Tuesday's game at home to Stenny is huge for us. If we want to be in the mix come the end of the season we need to win our game in hand. I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win right now.

Cowden's late winner on Saturday was a bit of a sickener but that's a sign of a good side, digging out wins when the points look lost.It's what we've been doing well during the recent good run. Assuming we remain unbeaten until a week Tuesday, when Cowden visit the rock, then that would become a real six-pointer. Time will tell.

Arbroath are capable of winning the league without doubt but I've got question marks over their defensive capabilities. Tough team to beat though.

If it went to the wire that would be outstanding. Our six final games are Forfar (h), Albion Rovers (a), Stenny (h), Airdrie (h), Stirling (a) and Brechin (h). If we can get through a tough March and come out there r there abouts we'll have a real chance.

Luckily there's an airfield in Cumbernauld. Don't want the chopper running out of fuel with a late diversion to Dumbarton on 'Helicopter Saturday'.

Edited by Jordo1872, 27 February 2012 - 10:59.

Dumbarton FC - Scotland's original champions

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts
Well we took 14 points from those 6 games first time round, I'm not going to look back on your results over that period but you would need 17 from 6 to be top.

It's absolutely irrelevant saying 'they will take X points and draw at Y but we will take Z points.'

We are in a bad spell, no doubt about it, so Saturday is a massive test.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Well we took 14 points from those 6 games first time round, I'm not going to look back on your results over that period but you would need 17 from 6 to be top.

It's absolutely irrelevant saying 'they will take X points and draw at Y but we will take Z points.'

Don't get me started on bad spells Posted Image You have to go a fair bit to match our 6 games on the spin, without a win! Feel free to try though!
Champions of Division 3 2010-2011, well chuffed! 1-1 draw at Celtic 2012 :-)

When is the last time YOUR team won at IBROX in the league verses the treble winners?!

To be called a idiot from other idiots is hardly an insult, it is just an observation from ones who know too little.

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts
A bad spell is what a club makes of it. We should have went 3 games without a win but we somehow scored with the last kick of the game. The team showed incredible character and whether you like it or not this is our bad spell, that's why a week off is great for us and it's a massive game on Saturday.

1320Lichtie

1320Lichtie

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 6,495 posts
Cowden are gonna crumble... Heard it here first ;)

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

Eh?! 17 points from 6 games?!!!!Posted Image

When is the last time YOUR team won at IBROX in the league verses the treble winners?!

To be called a idiot from other idiots is hardly an insult, it is just an observation from ones who know too little.

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts

Eh?! 17 points from 6 games?!!!!Posted Image

Ehhhhh that was my point cunto. You'd have to win all 6.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

Ehhhhh that was my point cunto. You'd have to win all 6.

Hmmm admit it the pressure is kicking in ehPosted Image

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts

:unsure: Erm ok.

HeinzHeraldFrentzen

HeinzHeraldFrentzen

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Nothing escapes you, eh?

That's not a compliment by the way, it's a suggestion that your density is similar to that of a black hole.
Eat my dust.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

Nothing escapes you, eh?

That's not a compliment by the way, it's a suggestion that your density is similar to that of a black hole.

Changing your name again eh?! We still know who you are!Posted Image Do you have to put in a lot of practise to be the perfect idiot, or does it come naturally?! The latter I guess.
Do us all a favour and forgot your internet password.....Posted Image

Ancient Warrior

Ancient Warrior

Junior League Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • My Team:Stenhousemuir
Going purely on games against Stenhousemuir I would have to back Cowdenbeath. They are a solid team with no glaring weaknesses while Arbroath look very shaky in defence probably due to having the worst left back in the league ( even worse than Lovering). Also have my doubts about Swankie who disappears too easily.

1320Lichtie

1320Lichtie

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 6,495 posts
In seriousness I think our defence problem has been sorted. Wedderburn, Innes, Malcolm, Baxter is as good as any and it's noticeable from the games we've played thus far with Innes. We've barely conceded any compared to before. He's class although Macca can be a weak link. Uptop we've got Samuel, Doris, Swankie and Elfverson. The first 3 are easily amongst top strikers in the league to

Edited by 1320Lichtie, 27 February 2012 - 12:44.

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts
Have you kept a clean sheet since Innes arrived?

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

Have you kept a clean sheet since Innes arrived?

No! But we did beat Stirling and Forfar (Twice!)

big al

big al

SPL Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • 2,855 posts

Going purely on games against Stenhousemuir I would have to back Cowdenbeath. They are a solid team with no glaring weaknesses while Arbroath look very shaky in defence probably due to having the worst left back in the league ( even worse than Lovering). Also have my doubts about Swankie who disappears too easily.

heard stenny were unlucky 2nd half. hit the post for 2 all then keeper with a howler from
an easy stop for the 3rd putting a gloss on the final score.

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts

No! But we did beat Stirling and Forfar (Twice!)

It was a simple question that again you feel the need to try and twist to suit yourself. It doesn't matter who you beat or who you lose to. It's who's top at the end of the season that matters.

Take your leaky defence elsewhere.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

heard stenny were unlucky 2nd half. hit the post for 2 all then keeper with a howler from
an easy stop for the 3rd putting a gloss on the final score.

Putting a Stennie/Cowden spin on it, it could have been 2-2. But then again Cowden could/should have drawn 0-0 with Brechin! Arbroath and Cowden both won and so we both look forward to Airdrie United now. We could if and but this to death, roll on the next set of games.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

It was a simple question that again you feel the need to try and twist to suit yourself. It doesn't matter who you beat or who you lose to. It's who's top at the end of the season that matters.

Take your leaky defence elsewhere.

It will be our attack that wins the league I think, but with Innes in our defence he will/has made a huge difference. Correct, it is who is top at the end of the season that matters, but to get there you need to score goals.

Cowden til i die

Cowden til i die

Undefined

• Gold Members
  • 15,875 posts

It will be our attack that wins the league I think, but with Innes in our defence he will/has made a huge difference. Correct, it is who is top at the end of the season that matters, but to get there you need to score goals.

You're speaking in riddles though. Of course you need to score goals(like we have don't all season) but there no point scoring 3 every week if you concede 4. It's a balance between defence and attack that wins the league.

lichtie23

lichtie23

Scottish sensation

• Gold Members
  • 47,759 posts
Innes has certainly made a difference but we still look suspect at the back. I'm never confident of us keeping a clean sheet
P&B NFL Prediction League Winner - 2010/11

P&B NFL Prediction League Runner Up - 2011/12

1320Lichtie

1320Lichtie

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 6,495 posts
Well see I suppose but it was spoke about a lot on Saturday. The defence has improved significantly.

ShakehandsTom - DFC

ShakehandsTom - DFC

Champions!

• Gold Members
  • 9,632 posts

This Tuesday's game at home to Stenny is huge for us. If we want to be in the mix come the end of the season we need to win our game in hand. I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win right now.

Cowden's late winner on Saturday was a bit of a sickener but that's a sign of a good side, digging out wins when the points look lost.It's what we've been doing well during the recent good run. Assuming we remain unbeaten until a week Tuesday, when Cowden visit the rock, then that would become a real six-pointer. Time will tell.

Arbroath are capable of winning the league without doubt but I've got question marks over their defensive capabilities. Tough team to beat though.

If it went to the wire that would be outstanding. Our six final games are Forfar (h), Albion Rovers (a), Stenny (h), Airdrie (h), Stirling (a) and Brechin (h). If we can get through a tough March and come out there r there abouts we'll have a real chance.

Luckily there's an airfield in Cumbernauld. Don't want the chopper running out of fuel with a late diversion to Dumbarton on 'Helicopter Saturday'.

This is pretty-much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Tomorrow's game is huge, and that will then carry-on to Saturday's visit to Glebe Park which will also be a huge game for us.

As you say (or suggest) we have a winnable run-in, and if we can keep in there with Cowdenbeath and Arbroath, past our games against them, then they'll both be feeling the pressure.

For the record, I reckon Cowdenbeath will do it, but would I be placing money on it? Not a chance! It's very open between them and Arbroath, with us putting the pressure on too.

Who knows what the next month of games will bring, but there's a lot of twists and turns in it yet, and whether we're involved in a title charge ourselves or not, we're certainly going to have a huge say in where that trophy ends up.

R.I.P Gordon Lennon

1983 - 2009

Gordon EF

Gordon EF

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 10,140 posts
  • My Team:East Fife

we're certainly going to have a huge say in where that trophy ends up.

How? More than, say, all the other teams who've got to still play Cowdenbeath and Arbroath?

ShakehandsTom - DFC

ShakehandsTom - DFC

Champions!

• Gold Members
  • 9,632 posts

How? More than, say, all the other teams who've got to still play Cowdenbeath and Arbroath?

No, that's very true. Good point.

We play them three times though (Cowdenbeath twice and Arbroath once), that's one more than most, I presume?

R.I.P Gordon Lennon

1983 - 2009

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

You're speaking in riddles though. Of course you need to score goals(like we have don't all season) but there no point scoring 3 every week if you concede 4. It's a balance between defence and attack that wins the league.

No riddle CTID, Arbroath have not conceded 4 goals in one game this league term, so you must be thinking of another team, or one of your riddles perchance?! We have conceded 3 goals in 4 separate league games though, but still only lost one of them! It is a balance between scoring lots of goals and having a above average defence, in having Innes this has upped our defensive quailties.

I feel Cowden may have a better defence than us from now to the end of the season, but I also feel we will score far more.

Time as always will tell, no riddle.

lichtie36nilhello

lichtie36nilhello

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • 3,183 posts

No, that's very true. Good point.

We play them three times though (Cowdenbeath twice and Arbroath once), that's one more than most, I presume?

Dumbarton could well be the king makers indeed, lots of football to be played yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users