Eligible Uncapped Players

Quentin Taranbino

McEachran's parents are both Scottish but he is very much committed to England, he was one of Levein's public pursuits earlier this year, pretty sure he will be at least a semi-regular for England in the future anyway.

I have seen this elsewhere but apparently it is just his grandfather who is Scottish, a McEachran from Kintyre (where the name is quite common). Doubt he would want to play for us anyway - unless of course he fails to fulfill his potential and England don't cap him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen this elsewhere but apparently it is just his grandfather who is Scottish, a McEachran from Kintyre (where the name is quite common). Doubt he would want to play for us anyway - unless of course he fails to fulfill his potential and England don't cap him.

Interesting. I'd got that info from his Wikipedia page but following it up it does cite a Sun article which makes no mention of their nationality. Other articles make reference to his parents roots so it sounds like you are correct, although it implies both parents have Scottish roots. Either way, he's always been strongly committed to England as far as I know.

I keep an eye on how Brian Easton's doing, I doubt he's good enough for Scotland and I would prefer Crainey in all honesty who has been in excellent form since joining Blackpool. Easton is no more than an average Championship player atm.

Hasn't Craig Forsyth started quite well for Watford? I know he's scored two or three goals.

Jonjo Shelvey is destined for many England caps I feel.

Interesting. I'd got that info from his Wikipedia page but following it up it does cite a Sun article which makes no mention of their nationality. Other articles make reference to his parents roots so it sounds like you are correct, although it implies both parents have Scottish roots. Either way, he's always been strongly committed to England as far as I know.

Some further research through Google shows you were right about the first generationl link, a quote from McEachran himself "My mother and my grandparents all come from Scotland but I am English and they're all fine about me playing for England".

With a Scottish mother and his father's father from Scotland this guy has considerably stronger links than the vast majority of the English players we have capped. Stronger family links with Scotland indeed than McGeady or McCarthy have with Ireland! But he clearly sees himself as English.

McGinn hasnt played for a year owing to injury and Forsyth is so far out of his depth in the championship that the only cheer he gets is when he is subbed.

Expect Levein to pick the pair of them next time out then.

Forsyth has been well received as far as I've seen. One of the few...

What an absolutely pathetic state of affairs. It's sickening what international football has become.

It has always been rather ridiculous. Having said that, all the original poster has managed to show is that Levein has pretty much reached the end of the line in terms of eligible players. There are very few, if any, in that list who could come in and improve the starting team.

Some further research through Google shows you were right about the first generationl link, a quote from McEachran himself "My mother and my grandparents all come from Scotland but I am English and they're all fine about me playing for England".

With a Scottish mother and his father's father from Scotland this guy has considerably stronger links than the vast majority of the English players we have capped. Stronger family links with Scotland indeed than McGeady or McCarthy have with Ireland! But he clearly sees himself as English.

Surely the last part of that contradicts the first?

Hasn't Craig Forsyth started quite well for Watford? I know he's scored two or three goals.

He's scored a couple of goals but has been shit - way out of his depth, making me pine for JJ O'Toole.

Forsyth has been well received as far as I've seen. One of the few...

You've obviously been to more Watford games than me this season and I'll bow to your superior knowledge but speaking as a Watford fan - he has been rank and the fans have not taken to him in the slightest.

You've obviously been to more Watford games than me this season and I'll bow to your superior knowledge but speaking as a Watford fan - he has been rank and the fans have not taken to him in the slightest.

Evidently.

Craig Gardner of Sunderland is eligible apparently.

Decent player.

I never knew he was eligible but if he is, then so is his brother Gary. Currently very close to getting in the Villa first team squad and scored two goals in a minute for England under-21s the other day.

Talking of Villa, I understand Chris Herd is still weighing up whether to declare for Scotland or Australia.

EDIT: just checked and he was in the last Aussie squad but withdrew through injury. Still technically eligible then but seemingly quite unlikely.

McGinn hasnt played for a year owing to injury and Forsyth is so far out of his depth in the championship that the only cheer he gets is when he is subbed.

Expect Levein to pick the pair of them next time out then.

Are you a Watford fan? Has Forsyth genuinely been that poor for them?

edit: I just read the rest of the topic, what has been poor about him?

MANAGER Craig Levein has revealed Scotland missed the opportunity to persuade Sebastian Coates to play for their national side – but are determined not to miss out on another Liverpool player.

Levein says Scottish Football Association officials have already been in contact with Jonjo Shelvey about him changing football allegiance from England.

The 21-year-old has represented the country of his birth at under-16, 17 and 19 level but has yet to play senior international football and would be eligible to play north of the English border because of his Scottish father.

Defender Coates also qualified to play for Levein’s side through his grandad but Scotland were too late in their attempts to prise him from the clutches of Uruguay.

The 21-year-old had represented his country at every level up to under-20 before the start of the summer so would still have been able to change to Scotland.

However when capped by the senior side in July’s Copa America – which

Uruguay won and Coates was named the tournament’s best player – the game was up for Levein.

But the Scot’s manager is far more optimistic of landing Shelvey, who is currently enjoying a profitable loan spell away from Anfield with Championship side Blackpool.

“We’ve been in touch and we are hopeful,” said Levein. “As usual, we will continue to try and unearth as many players as possible to be able to play for us.

“We want as many good players as possible to be able to play for us.”

However on the missed opportunity with Coates, who has now played six times for his country’s senior side, Levein admitted: “He'd been capped by the time we found out about him.

If Craig Gardner is eligble, he should be number one priority IMO. A midfield of Adam, Fletcher and Gardner would be brilliant to see, especially with the likes of Morrison, Bannan etc available too.

Some decent players available to us. I honestly don't care if they were born in England or wherever else. If they want to play for Scotland (just look at the power of work the likes of Morrison puts in for us) then I'd happily have them.

Archived