Jordan Rhodes

~~~

are you a professional footballer ? in football that is largely how it works, thats why some players get paid more than others for essentially doing the same job, theyre better at it

What was Roque Santa Cruz on at City I wonder when he wasn't playing for years, and specifically last season? Was it more than, say, Clint Dempsey who had a great season and is arguably a better player? What about Dembele? On more than him? And of course, Rooney was a far better player than van Persie last season, and the only reason for that was the fact he was paid more of course.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tremendous, you have identified a few exceptions that totally disprove the rule I take it all back now, with hundreds of players and dozens of teams these things even out, players in the epl make more than players in the championship, would you like to hazard a guess why that is ? championship players make more than league one, same reason, league one make more than league two, I would hope youre getting the idea by now. it really is the most facile argument ever to identify a few anomalies and claim they prove anything.

tremendous, you have identified a few exceptions that totally disprove the rule I take it all back now, with hundreds of players and dozens of teams these things even out, players in the epl make more than players in the championship, would you like to hazard a guess why that is ? championship players make more than league one, same reason, league one make more than league two, I would hope youre getting the idea by now. it really is the most facile argument ever to identify a few anomalies and claim they prove anything.

Well just by how strongly you put the point, you'd think it was a hard and fast rule that would never be deviated from. Sure it's a pattern, but I'm sure you could find players in the Championship that earn more than those in the EPL. Your point was that money = better quality...

its the only measure, money buys quality, you pay 10 grand a week you get a better player than paying 5 gets you.

It's not the only measure. Money doesn't always buy quality, it can also buy you a load of shite.

sigh this is so tiring. you are correct lots of individual cases where there will be anomalies, but that changes nothing. spl players make more than division 1, for the simple reason they are better, there might be a couple of decent players in div 1 currently underpaid couple of haddies overpaid in the spl but on the whole that is the case, jesus christ man, why would you think it would never be deviated from are you thick or something ?

money can buy a load of shite, but less money buys less shite, or the same amount thats even shitter, its just logical Im not making any mad claims here

I don't think its a massive leap of faith to suggest that more money, more often than not, means better players (not a hard and fast rule but certainly a decent guide)

This all started with people saying League One was too low to bring Rhodes into the Scotland set up ( from what I remember).

I'm of the opinion that the SPL is nowhere near as bad as some make out, and that the leagues in England are over-rated by many.

Having said that I think there would be top League One sides who could get results in the SPL, and possibly some Lower Championship sides who might struggle in the SPL.

I guess what I'm saying is that whether or not League One is higher or lower than the SPL is neither here nor there, they are comparable though. I dont think there is THAT much in it.

Now when your talking about a striker in a comparable league (even one at a slightly lower lever, for arguments sake) who has scored 40 (FOURTY) goals, then its not too much of a leap of faith to give him a shout.

And that's before taking into consideration his goal scoring for the U21 side.

Someone who hadn't been scoring as much in a slightly lower league (maybe 8-10 for the season and little or nothing for U21 side) then it may become more of a chance, but with Rhodes that simply wasn't the case.

He was worth his call up without a doubt and even scored for the full International Side in a friendly.

I don't think its a massive leap of faith to suggest that more money, more often than not, means better players (not a hard and fast rule but certainly a decent guide)

This all started with people saying League One was too low to bring Rhodes into the Scotland set up ( from what I remember).

I'm of the opinion that the SPL is nowhere near as bad as some make out, and that the leagues in England are over-rated by many.

Having said that I think there would be top League One sides who could get results in the SPL, and possibly some Lower Championship sides who might struggle in the SPL.

I guess what I'm saying is that whether or not League One is higher or lower than the SPL is neither here nor there, they are comparable though. I dont think there is THAT much in it.

Now when your talking about a striker in a comparable league (even one at a slightly lower lever, for arguments sake) who has scored 40 (FOURTY) goals, then its not too much of a leap of faith to give him a shout.

And that's before taking into consideration his goal scoring for the U21 side.

Someone who hadn't been scoring as much in a slightly lower league (maybe 8-10 for the season and little or nothing for U21 side) then it may become more of a chance, but with Rhodes that simply wasn't the case.

He was worth his call up without a doubt and even scored for the full International Side in a friendly.

good post, sums it up well, its just not a valid excuse to not start him for scotland that he's only scored goals in league one

sigh this is so tiring. you are correct lots of individual cases where there will be anomalies, but that changes nothing. spl players make more than division 1, for the simple reason they are better, there might be a couple of decent players in div 1 currently underpaid couple of haddies overpaid in the spl but on the whole that is the case, jesus christ man, why would you think it would never be deviated from are you thick or something ?

money can buy a load of shite, but less money buys less shite, or the same amount thats even shitter, its just logical Im not making any mad claims here

I was just disagreeing with the all encompassing money buys quality view that I thought you were putting out a few posts back. You did say it was the "only measure" of quality. If you're acknowledging now that there are plenty of cases where it doesn't apply, I guess we're in agreement. I see you're still finding it hard to post without resorting to some kind of insult though, maybe that's why people disagree with you sometimes, dunno.

In complete agreement with you though that there is no real reason to bring him into the Scotland setup and start him. He's clearly got the quality, whether it has been tested or not. And he's not Miller.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be some awfully confused Scotland fans when Rhodes isn't getting a game because of Steven Fletcher.

"Should be playing 4-4-2".

No, no we shouldn't.

Why not? We could play a diamond to some effect perhaps? We don't really have any class wingers and our midfield is over stocked on central midfielders so why not ?

Why not? We could play a diamond to some effect perhaps? We don't really have any class wingers and our midfield is over stocked on central midfielders so why not ?

Commons had been excellent lately, shame our dickhead manager decided not to pick him

what he should do, if the vegas thing is true I would back levein over that and I am not a fan of his at all but he would be right there, so if that is true he should just come out and say so, he is getting pressure put on him the same as with fletcher over commons but if there is an actual reason he isnt picking commons and it is a disciplinary one he should just come out and say so and he would be backed over it imo cause he would be in the right this time unlike with fletcher, but like with fletcher he's handling it badly again and its being allowed to fester.

• 1 month later...

Remember he is not good enough and overhyped and according to a high percentage of posters on here he would not score as many at a higher level.

To be fair he's scored 2 goals against Luxembourg, who are utter shite and well below the level he's playing at just now.

You may have noticed Danny Swanson playing for Peterborough.

Time for some levein quotes...

on Swanson...."He's the most talented player I've ever worked with"

on Rhodes....."Listen, Jordan isn't ready for international football. He's not."

Yes, Craig Levein is hopeless, we've noticed. His lack of faith in Jordan Rhodes was inexcusably stupid. Much like his continued faith in a now past-it Kenny Miller. But Avril has gone & there's no way that Rhodes won't be there as an important player for the next coach. No way.

Archived