Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Bolton Disaster?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Grant228

Grant228

I'm a puppet on a string, Tracey Island.

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,457 posts
  • My Team:Dunfermline
  • Gamertag:PSN: Gparsfan2
Does it make me totally ignorant that I had no knowledge of this?
Never heard it mentioned before, found it quite surprising given the size of the death toll

Does anyone know if any safety features where inserted after it etc?

Bolton Disaster (Does contain a photograph which may shock some)

Edited by Grant228, 04 December 2010 - 22:19.

Aye, Good luck in life.

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 32,815 posts
  • My Team:Berwick Rangers
Usually called the Burnden Park disaster, tbf.

(People might want to watch before opening that link - I got a bit of a shock, picture of dead people wasn't expected).

According to Wikipedia:

The disaster led to the Moelwyn Hughes's official report, which recommended limitations on crowd sizes. A conference on the licensing and regulation of sports grounds where it was recommended that, as a voluntary code, local authorities should inspect grounds with a capacity of 10,000 spectators and agreed safely limits should be in place for grounds of more than 25,000 capacity. Turnstyles should mechanically record spectator numbers and grounds should have internal telephone systems.[6]

The fact it occurred not long after WWII may be the reason why it's not remembered like 1st + 2nd Ibrox, Heysel, Hillsborough, Bradford etc.?

Edited by HibeeJibee, 04 December 2010 - 22:14.

and when told Lord Jeffrey burst into tears, and sprang to his feet, and he exclaimed in a tone of triumph

"I am proud of my country. There is no other upon earth where such a deed could have been done"

Grant228

Grant228

• Gold Members
  • 8,457 posts

The fact it occurred not long after WWII may be the reason why it's not remembered like 1st + 2nd Ibrox, Heysel, Hillsborough, Bradford etc.?

It might indeed, but then you could argue its even more of a tragedy that men, having survived the 2nd world war died by just going out for a couple of hours with there mates to the football etc, cheers for the heads up about the picture, didn't really cross my mind

Aye, Good luck in life.

HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 32,815 posts
  • My Team:Berwick Rangers

It might indeed, but then you could argue its even more of a tragedy that men, having survived the 2nd world war died by just going out for a couple of hours with there mates to the football etc,

Totally. What should also be remembered is that people died 'regularly' from "crush" in Britain throughout the era of big crowds on terraces.

I.e. a handful of people might die across Britain each season from tripping under or getting squashed etc. but in 1s or 2s = no big story. Think someone died when Hibs set our record attendance.

cheers for the heads up about the picture, didn't really cross my mind

Not at all, it was just an unsettling shock when unexpected. I clicked, momentarily looked away, and got a surprise when I looked back.

Edited by HibeeJibee, 04 December 2010 - 22:26.

and when told Lord Jeffrey burst into tears, and sprang to his feet, and he exclaimed in a tone of triumph

"I am proud of my country. There is no other upon earth where such a deed could have been done"

Grant228

Grant228

• Gold Members
  • 8,457 posts

Totally. What should also be remembered is that people died 'regularly' from "crush" in Britain throughout the era of big crowds on terraces.

I.e. a handful of people might die across Britain each season from tripping under or getting squashed etc. but in 1s or 2s = no big story. Think someone died when Hibs set our record attendance.

:(

Someone did die when Dunfermline set there record I'm sure, fell from a roof.

Aye, Good luck in life.

Sweet Pete

Sweet Pete

Ploughing time doesn't stop at night!

• Gold Members
  • 12,056 posts
  • My Team:Dumbarton

Does it make me totally ignorant that I had no knowledge of this?
Never heard it mentioned before, found it quite surprising given the size of the death toll

Does anyone know if any safety features where inserted after it etc?

Bolton Disaster (Does contain a photograph which may shock some)

The very idea that the game was simply continued and a new touchline was delineated with sawdust due to corpses lying within the boundary of the pitch is one of the grimmest things I've ever read. That's simply incomprehensible to me.

We will never forget you, Guido.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users