Defunct Clubs

shugstero

Nithsdale Wanderers(Sanquhar), Ardeer Recreation(Stevenston), Dunoon Athletic?

All members of the old Western League I think.

Nithsdale Wanderers were reformed in 2001 and compete in the South of Scotland League, now playing at Lorimer Park by the Secondary School.

https://www.facebook.com/NithdaleWanderersFc

Edited by Sunrise

ammm.... Brechin Matrix.... stobswell... Dundee osbourne, Perth Celtic... Fochabers, Bankfoot Athletic, Bishopmill United

Im apologyze if i repeat some one

I used to go and watch the Stobbie play from time to time as their ground East End Park was less than 10 mins walk from where I lived. Colours were maroon & white. Osbourne ground shared with them for a while. They played in sky blue but occasionally in old Dundee strips as Bobby Cox had played for them. Another old team, Elmwood, also ground shared for a short time.

I remember going to watch Cambuslang playing Polkemmet juniors a long, long time ago away & then about 10 years ago went to a pre season game - Harthill royal v Cambuslang & I'm 99% certain it was the same venue. Was there a connection with polkemmet & harthill royal ?

Anybody shed some light?

I remember going to watch Cambuslang playing Polkemmet juniors a long, long time ago away & then about 10 years ago went to a pre season game - Harthill royal v Cambuslang & I'm 99% certain it was the same venue. Was there a connection with polkemmet & harthill royal ? Anybody shed some light?

Harthill took over Polkemmet's old park when they joined the Juniors.

ETA - Polkemmet went bust in '88, Harthill joined in '92. Park used to be called something else other than Gibbshill Park AFAIK.

Edited by Hillonearth

I remember going to watch Cambuslang playing Polkemmet juniors a long, long time ago away & then about 10 years ago went to a pre season game - Harthill royal v Cambuslang & I'm 99% certain it was the same venue. Was there a connection with polkemmet & harthill royal ? Anybody shed some light?

Polkemmet_zpsf824bd35.jpg

My recollection is that East Craigie (Scotland's oldest junior side?) were about to fold so merged with Elmwood and kept the East Craigie name alive.

Arthurlie founded 1874, East Craigie 1880

There's quite a few that lay claim to being the oldest, although some haven't played in the Juniors the whole time, were continuations of other clubs or had gaps of a few years where they weren't active.

Most clubs' records from that far back are a bit sketchy to say the least. To illustrate this, I was talking to the Ants' club historian who had found out recently that they were actually formed two years later than anybody thought. :)

I'm simply going by the document that was posted earlier on in the thread - which is rather interesting in my opinion! It has Larkhall Thistle down as forming in 1878 - but as has been mentioned it must be very difficult to know who are technically the oldest junior club, with many clubs forming through amalgamations with other clubs, some playing amateur/ juvenile/ senior before playing junior and in some cases (as is the case with St Anthony's mentioned above) simply information that has been passed down through the years as fact can sometimes not actually be the case....

My recollection is that East Craigie (Scotland's oldest junior side?) were about to fold so merged with Elmwood and kept the East Craigie name alive.

Possibly, think Elmwood ground shared with East Craigie for a while. Craigie Park is about the distance of 3 pitches down the road from East End Park where Stobswell played.