The New Raith Rovers Thread

St Johnstone got around 1500 a week in this league and even when they went up it barely rose. They're not doing so well this season I guess but they're the example we need to try and follow.

We can afford to be promoted. We don't need undersoil heating anymore in the SPFL so there's a million quid automatically saved in comparison to this time last year. We turned a profit last season and we'll turn a profit this season, things are on the up for us if we play our cards right. What I will say though is the profits are as a result of cup runs. Does this mean we "can't afford" to be in the Championship? If Greig Spence hadn't scored in the 90th minute to equalise at Airdrie we probably wouldn't have turned a profit last season. If we'd lost as expected in Dingwall instead of winning 4-1 as well we definitely wouldn't have done. Profit is down to fortune in this division. The restructure will help but given we don't even have a fucking sponsor it won't help as much as thought, this season at least. Yes an outlay is required to go into the top division, but why are people so reluctant to speculate to accumulate? Don't go mental on players, watch the ground filled up by Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs, take the TV money, scrap it out with utter shite like Ross County, Partick Thistle, St Mirren, and take your chances. We might come down but if we do, try again. If we're sensible with player contracts it shouldn't cost a thing.

The Championship next season will be won by Rangers. The season after it'll probably be won by Hearts. Why are we so determined to stay in it? We'll turn a profit in this league next season, and probably the season after too but what the f**k is the point if we never have any ambition to go further.....

I apologise about the undersoil thing, i thought that was still apart of the deal, everything else you have said is 100% brilliant. We need to strengthen in defence as our long term injuries will almost scupper those chances for the play offs

Edited by baillieinleeds

The reality - as laid out to everyone at the beginning of the season - is that we are a part-time outfit with a few full timers to bolster us from being involved at the "wrong" end of this league.

Isn't the majority of our playing squad full time?

Hope you don't think I'm criticising you Paco because, in reality, we have the same aspirations for our Club.

The combination of luck (good draws and results in the cups) AND good Management is what is required to keep us moving forward and we should never lose sight of the fact that it often requires lots of BOTH to do so in a controlled, measures and, hopefully, SECURE manner.

We are fortunate indeed to have people like T.H and Bert (and his staff) at RRFC. Both men understand the nature of the task at hand and can see the long term goals outweigh the short term glories that would require them to operate in a less thoughtful or prudent manner.

Be under no illusion though, IF what we can afford to operate with this season was to be good enough to achieve promotion then, regardless of who is appearing in The Championship next season would make no odds - we'd be up in the SPL.

The reality - as laid out to everyone at the beginning of the season - is that we are a part-time outfit with a few full timers to bolster us from being involved at the "wrong" end of this league. So far, its mission accomplished and we are on course for involvement in the play-offs, a Ramsdens Final against 'The Blue Vermin' (© Shull) and securing the Club financially.

From this sort of position the club can move forward again hopefully and I have no doubt we could be in even better shape to make the club stronger to the point where we would be genuine contenders to challenge either The Junior Jambos or SevCo.

And all that without threatening the clubs' future.

Win win no ? :)

Not at all! I get frustrated by the supporters who sit around me at matches and a few on here/Twitter/Fantalk who have no awareness of the situation we're in, but are happy to hit out with definitive statements such as "we can't afford to go up" with absolutely no argument or evidence to back it up. It's just plainly not true.

I agree with you entirely, aside from the part-time stuff which has been mentioned above, and losing the play-offs or finishing fifth and having Hearts/Rangers/maybe the Pars next season is great. Can't ask for more from Scotland's second tier. But it's a consolation prize. There's no doubt the cash can help build us up for a tilt at promotion in a couple of years but there'll be at least six or seven other clubs thinking the same thing. And there's the monotony of playing Hamilton, Queen of the South, Cowdenbeath, Livingston, Morton etc for another three years. I'm certainly not saying we go all guns blazing to go up, we've used our budget and that's that, it'd just be nice if we could have a go at it. We've got a team capable of getting to the play-offs, no question about that. Fingers crossed they do it.

Edited by Paco

Not at all! I get frustrated by the supporters who sit around me at matches and a few on here/Twitter/Fantalk who have no awareness of the situation we're in, but are happy to hit out with definitive statements such as "we can't afford to go up" with absolutely no argument or evidence to back it up. It's just plainly not true.

I agree with you entirely, aside from the part-time stuff which has been mentioned above, and losing the play-offs or finishing fifth and having Hearts/Rangers/maybe the Pars next season is great. Can't ask for more from Scotland's second tier. But it's a consolation prize. There's no doubt the cash can help build us up for a tilt at promotion in a couple of years but there'll be at least six or seven other clubs thinking the same thing. And there's the monotony of playing Hamilton, Queen of the South, Cowdenbeath, Livingston, Morton etc for another three years. I'm certainly not saying we go all guns blazing to go up, we've used our budget and that's that, it'd just be nice if we could have a go at it. We've got a team capable of getting to the play-offs, no question about that. Fingers crossed they do it.

:thumsup2:lol:

You know better than to soil your laptop/computer wading through "Fantalk" surely ??? But yeah, there is always someone wishing to spout shit without having the wisdom or wit to back it up....happens at every club though, I mean....could be worse.... at least we're not Morton eh ? :lol:

We definitely are beginning to feel the pain of our small squad, no doubt, but I have complete faith that those in charge are doing all they can to respond to these issues and are not "sitting back" or doing nothing, there's too much to lose after all the hard work they have put in up to this point.

God, if I worked for either T.H. or Bert, I just couldn't imagine the avalanche of abuse i'd get for easing off at my job :shutup !

I have a feeling we will see the club move to bolster our position soon.... you'll see.

The Courier have "Turnbull Hutton's reaction" in tomorrow's paper.

Pretty sure that means we're going to have a very small allocation. Would you go to Turnbull Hutton for a reaction if everything was hunky dory?

I look forward to this. I've had nothing to moan about for ages.

Hope you don't think I'm criticising you Paco because, in reality, we have the same aspirations for our Club. 

The combination of luck (good draws and results in the cups) AND good Management is what is required to keep us moving forward and we should never lose sight of the fact that it often requires lots of BOTH to do so in a controlled, measures and, hopefully, SECURE manner.

We are fortunate indeed to have people like T.H and Bert (and his staff) at RRFC. Both men understand the nature of the task at hand and can see the long term goals outweigh the short term glories that would require them to operate in a less thoughtful or prudent manner.

Be under no illusion though, IF what we can afford to operate with this season was to be good enough to achieve promotion then, regardless of who is appearing in The Championship next season would make no odds - we'd be up in the SPL.

The reality - as laid out to everyone at the beginning of the season - is that we are a part-time outfit with a few full timers to bolster us from being involved at the "wrong" end of this league. So far, its mission accomplished and we are on course for involvement in the play-offs, a Ramsdens Final against 'The Blue Vermin' (© Shull) and securing the Club financially.

From this sort of position the club can move forward again hopefully and I have no doubt we could be in even better shape to make the club stronger to the point where we would be genuine contenders to challenge either The Junior Jambos or SevCo.

And all that without threatening the clubs' future.

Win win no ?  :)

My thoughts exactly.

Think most folk are forgetting the prize money available for the league this season.

Can't mind exact figures but think mid table gets around 250k rising to 400k for 1st (still over 100k for bottom) Last season we got what? 50k prize money?

This is a huge amount for clubs in this division and should take financial pressure off us and allow our squad to improve which ever league we are in next season.

Have a link somewhere, 2tics......

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/229106-how-much-money-does-your-club-stand-to-make-from-league-reconstruction/

Think most folk are forgetting the prize money available for the league this season.

Can't mind exact figures but think mid table gets around 250k rising to 400k for 1st (still over 100k for bottom) Last season we got what? 50k prize money?

This is a huge amount for clubs in this division and should take financial pressure off us and allow our squad to improve which ever league we are in next season.

Have a link somewhere, 2tics......

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/229106-how-much-money-does-your-club-stand-to-make-from-league-reconstruction/

Agreed.

The rewards of finishing higher up really couldn't be clearer. Obviously this doesn't give us a free pass to go mental, but I think we can afford to take a small risk this year because of the greater financial reward even for finishing 6th.