The New Raith Rovers Thread

Do you have proof its not already paid off? Iv never seen any to backup either argument.

as the club dont seem to understand what annual means in AGM its difficult to gives exact figures on whats been paid off and whats owed.last set of accounts to shareholders were up to June 2011 and theres never been an AGM or a set of accounts given to shareholders since.

transparency :huh:

Mark Humphries was literally laughably bad.

Didn't know he was Sinky's pal though.

I remember some folk saying that Sinky just brought him along to training one day & he got signed.

(I accept that may just be terrace talk pish, but having watched him play, it's entirely believable.)

Where do we start for a first 11 of duds? We had the whole Anelka team as mentioned, so it makes things a bit to easy.

I've been following since our return to the first division under Calderon, so most names are quite recent. As has been mentioned, in goals we've had McNeil who will always be in mind on this topic. The game against the Pars was tragic, but his performance against Cowdenbeath two weeks before was just as brutal if not worse. Both our goals were directly down to him in that game, and what should've been a straight forward result put us in a position where nobody wanted our goalkeeper, in all honesty, I don't think he wanted to be there himself. Even worse, we had a legend of a keeper on the bench who, for some reason unknown, couldn't get a game. McGurn made one mistake and lost his spot, but I can think of at least seven or eight mistakes by McNeil, some of which we got off with.

An honourable mention for Ally Brown under Dazza. I think the Partick fan SLJ has footage of their game against us where the ball hit both posts from a Jukka Santala shot, trundling along the line. Brown sprinted across, tripped, and the proceeded to knock a harmless shot into the net before clattering into the post and requiring some suspect physio treatment. All it needed was the Benny Hill music.

Similarly, for being our top goalscorer Dalziel didn't seem to recognise good defenders (although it is to his eternal credit that he brought in Mark Campbell). For the first half of our return season in the second division, we'd line up with Brown in goals and a back line of Hilland, McLeod, Lumsden and Lyle. Utterly brutal to watch to say the least. I'm also a bit surprised that nobody has pinpointed Johnny Smart. Always took great pleasure seeing him line up against us for East Fife, where for some reason he was idolised.

In the rest of the team, the usual suspects have been covered. Up top there should be a mention for Denis McLachlan who came from Hearts and scored two goals. I missed the first, which was a lob at Brechin, when I nipped for a pish. His second was against Morton where he made an aimless run forward, before the ball deflected off him and past their keeper.

I remember some folk saying that Sinky just brought him along to training one day & he got signed.

(I accept that may just be terrace talk pish, but having watched him play, it's entirely believable.)

According to Soccerbase we signed him from Bristol City. I don't recall Humphries being that shite. Was he not one of the players involved in the infamous Rape Rovers thing?

According to Soccerbase we signed him from Bristol City. I don't recall Humphries being that shite. Was he not one of the players involved in the infamous Rape Rovers thing?

Humphries was never a premier league player but we've had much worse than him since.

Having said that, when Nicholl signed him and that right back (McKilligan I think?) it was probably two of the stranger signings ever made by a club at that level.

There were two guys who came from the juniors, possibly under Calderon who I remember as being pretty poor for us. John Henry and David Evans I'm sure were their names. Whether they were as bad as some of the players already mentioned I'm not sure. I think Henry lasted about 2 games before walking out, while Evans was a non goalscoring striker.

There were two guys who came from the juniors, possibly under Calderon who I remember as being pretty poor for us. John Henry and David Evans I'm sure were their names. Whether they were as bad as some of the players already mentioned I'm not sure. I think Henry lasted about 2 games before walking out, while Evans was a non goalscoring striker.

Think it might have been Jim Henry? Evans was a classic example of the gulf between junior and senior football. I'm sure he'd scored a barrowload at junior level but looked hopeless for us. Not as bad as Jaconelli right enough.

Think it might have been Jim Henry? Evans was a classic example of the gulf between junior and senior football. I'm sure he'd scored a barrowload at junior level but looked hopeless for us. Not as bad as Jaconelli right enough.

Jim Henry, that was him. He was blowing out his arse 10 minutes into the game I'm thinking of after a lot of 'headless chicken' running about. You're right about Evans too, he was a machine at junior level but was hopelessly out of his depth with us. Don't even remember him scoring a single goal for us and generally looked a bit too lightweight.

Leaving aside the Anelka duds, the Rovers have been playing the First Division or above for the majority of the time I've been watching them, so unsurprisingly the worst players I've seen pulling on the strip have been in the Second Division. Step forward Sean Kilgannon and Craig Winter in the 'Completely Anonymous' category. Neither did anything really bad. They just did nothing at all. The phrase 'waste of a shirt' was made for these two utterly anonymous footballers. Then there is the has-been category, so step forward Eddie Annand and Scott Crabbe. My pet hate is older footballers who can't just f**k off gracefully, and so, convince themselves they have 'experience' to offer, despite the fact they literally can't run anymore. Paul Hilland and Jed Stirling should be in here too. Not sure what category to file them under.

Going under the "experience to offer" tag then it has to be Andy Walker. Couldn't give a toss about us when came to us on loan at end of 1997/98 season. Still remember him celebrating scoring a goal in last game of season away at Ayr but it being disallowed for hand-ball...he couldn't give a f**k!

Special mentions to Paul Hilland, Scott Bannerman, Niall Henderson and John Neill. They all thought they were footballers...but none of them were.

Also I remember a player in the mid-nineties when we had our Norwegian thing going on. Was centre-mid, had no pace and point blankly refused to ever use his right foot.

Hilland, McLeod, Lumsden and Lyle

That sentence took me back to a very dark place :o

When Nichol signed McAnespie he was a complete unkown and then became a revelation. I think Jimmy Nic thought the same would happen with every player he signed and we ended up with some real stinkers in the period leading up to his departure to Millwall as a result, as Jimmy started to lose the plot.

Humphries used to play in Aberdeen reserves and had floppy hair so was supposedly the natrual successor to Stevie Mac, but was so left-footed it was unreal, especially as he was played at right-back!

Edited by Stelios

:lol: the guy that was on beadles about shouted to the guy Henry, 10 minutes into his first senior game in a cup tie at Arbroath, " f**k sake man, your no in the juniors noo son!"

That was Jim McIntosh, he has done the 50/50 draw tickets for decades, a real character, absolutely Rovers daft!!